Our goal is to make clean power accessible, to accelerate the shift to zero carbon power and transport.
We are building and operating the world’s most sophisticated battery systems to enable the uptake of more renewable power and accelerating fleet electrification, de-risking the transition to zero-emission transport at scale. We’ve been consistently innovative since we were founded in 2017, achieving major industry firsts and using proprietary software and data analysis to optimise operational performance for our customers. At the end of their life, we repurpose electric vehicle batteries to provide clean power at depots, on construction sites and film sets.
Today we have 430 MW of grid scale battery storage operational and under construction and are the largest owner and operator of EV buses in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, supporting over 1,000 electric vehicles worldwide. In our first five years we have raised nearly £1.8 billion in funding and have expanded into other markets such as the US. Our rapidly growing company is looking for highly talented and motivated people to join us.
We are looking to recruit a commercially and technically astute Head of Projects with experience in the battery storage market to support the growth of the Network & Infrastructure business. This role is fundamental in ensuring the delivery of our Network Infrastructure projects, with 500MW in live construction, and a further 750MW in late-stage development for delivery by 2026. The candidate will bring a deep understanding of project and portfolio management, have a proven experience of working on large scale energy infrastructure projects and have experience building and leading project delivery teams. Reporting to the Director of Delivery, the role will interface with the wider NI leadership team, working closely with functions including procurement, business development, engineering, legal and the PMO to ensure the effective delivery of projects from late-stage development through to commercial operation. The role includes building strong relations with internal and external stakeholders and acting as a point of escalation for resolving critical issues on delivery projects. It will be a requirement to hit the ground running and to be comfortable operating at a rapid pace and delivering against key metrics of safety, cost and schedule performance.
A TASTE OF THE DAY TO DAY
- Overall responsibility for the successful delivery of Network Infrastructure’s portfolio of large scale, transmission connected BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) projects, managing a total portfolio CAPEX of £500m+
- Effectively Manage, motivate, and continue to develop a growing team of Project Managers and Project Engineers, aligned to deliver the pipeline of NI projects
- Overall responsibility for the handover from business development to operations through successful, reliable project delivery:
- Responsible for the delivery of all NI projects to the approved budget and schedule, in line with the business case
- Responsible for quality assurance and continuous improvement in project delivery
- Manage a retrospective process to ensure learnings from each project move back into business development, procurement, engineering and delivery teams
- Overall responsibility for project budget and variation management processes
- Ensure risks are identified, tracked, mitigated and communicated well in advance with the project steering committees
- Ensure adherence to existing process and procedures and support the ongoing development of such within the business
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure successful delivery of projects
- Manage clear handovers between business development, delivery and operations teams
- Reporting on the NI portfolio to a senior leadership level, including Zenobe’s board
- Ensuring adherence to requirements and accurate reporting to Zenobe’s project lenders
- Leading the projects through the lifecycle stages including stage gate assurance reviews in accordance with the Zenobe governance and assurance standard
- Supporting preparation of high-quality internal Investment Committee papers
- Develop strategic relationships with all project partners including suppliers, contractors, utilities, landowners, permitting authorities, lawyers and advisors
- Responsible for robust cost control across the project lifecycle, interfacing with internal finance teams, PMO and third-party lenders
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We realise that certain groups of people are less likely to apply for a role if they don’t meet 100% of the job requirements. To be absolutely clear: if you like the look of this job and think you could do it well, we encourage you to apply with a CV that highlights your transferable skills and experience. Above all, Zenobē is looking for collaborative, flexible, empathetic people who are interested in creating and promoting practical routes to a zero carbon world.
A job with Zenobē Energy means a job with the market leader in one of the UK’s most dynamic and fastest growing sectors, gaining exposure to diverse roles and highly experienced partners.
- Experience of delivering a portfolio of multiple simultaneous projects
- Project and proposal management
- Project controls management including scheduling, cost control, change management etc.
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel) and MS Project
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Strong planning, risk management and organisational skills, team player
- Pragmatic, proactive and solution driven
- Strong commercial skills – comfortable with legal contracts and project commercials including dispute resolution
- Excellent communication skills, capable of presenting project updates to a senior level
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- High quality education (Bachelor’s degree or Master's degree)
- Project Management Qualification (APM, Prince2 etc...)
- A genuine passion in clean energy and our social and environmental mission
- Relevant experience in a project leadership position (minimum 5-10 years) in energy storage or renewables sectors
- Knowledge of the UK energy storage landscape
- Must have hands-on technical experience with large scale energy storage projects
- Must have experience with DNO and TO connection works and Balance of Plant equipment
- Good experience dealing with customers and suppliers
- Ability to work in the HQ in London and travel UK wide
- Desire to work in a fast moving, high pressure and entrepreneurial environment
Desirable but non-essential skills:
- Engineering Degree
- Direct BESS experience
- Previous experience working as the Client organisation
- Anything else the applicant believes can be of use within a small yet fast growing organisation like Zenobe
WORKING AT ZENOBE
We are passionate about sustainability and are proud to offer Team Zenobē a pioneering and collaborative working environment. We encourage our people to take ownership of their career progression and celebrate those that can think outside the box.
If you would like to join our community of likeminded people hit the apply button now, we’d love to hear from you!
WHAT WE OFFER
Charge your career at Zenobē and receive
- Up to 20% annual bonus for being awesome
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Private Medical Insurance, for you and the family
- £1500 training budget per year, to ensure you grow as we do
- EV Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Pension scheme, up to 8% matched contributions
- Enhanced parental leave
- Cash back health plan
- Plus more
Lots of our people work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, flexitime and hybrid working. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but please talk to us about the flexibility you need and let’s see how we can make it work.
OUR APPROACH TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Our people are our strongest asset and the key determinant of our success, and we value a range of skillsets and perspectives. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. We work to provide equal opportunities and an inclusive work environment, where everyone is fairly treated in the application process and through their career at Zenobē. If there are any adjustments that would help improve your experience with Zenobē, please let us know when you apply.