Our goal is to make clean power accessible, to accelerate the shift to zero carbon power and transport.
We’re building and operating the world’s most sophisticated battery systems to enable the uptake of more renewable power and accelerating fleet electrification, de-risking the transition to zero-emission transport at scale. We’ve been consistently innovative since we were founded in 2017, achieving major industry firsts and using proprietary software and data analysis to optimise operational performance for our customers. At the end of their life, we repurpose electric vehicle batteries to provide clean power at depots, on construction sites and film sets.
Today we have 430 MW of grid scale battery storage operational and under construction and are the largest owner and operator of EV buses in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, supporting over 1,000 electric vehicles worldwide. In our first five years we have raised nearly £1.8 billion in funding and have expanded into other markets such as the US. Our rapidly growing company is looking for highly talented and motivated people to join us.
We are looking to recruit an experienced engineering professional with exposure of the renewable market to support the growth of the Network & Infrastructure businesses. The candidate will bring a good understanding of grid requirements and grid connection applications for battery storage. The candidate will have a proven experience of working with relevant stakeholders, and have the capability and credibility to design, engineer, and commission HV and MV substations and cable. Working with the Directors and other members of the Engineering team, the candidate will be able to manage the day to day aspects of further establishing the relationship with TO, ESO, DNO and involve in detailed engineering design and plant specifications as well as commissioning of such solutions. The role integrates with team members in development, procurement, project, engineering, controls, and construction to put together complex grid connection solution, optimized plant design, and techno-economic analysis. The role includes liaising with clients and external stakeholders such as National Grid, technical consultants, transformer, and inverter suppliers. It will be a requirement to hit the ground running and to be comfortable operating at a rapid pace at times with levels of ambiguity and the pressure of deadlines.
A TASTE OF THE DAY TO DAY
- Lead all aspects related to grid connections directly with TO, ESO and DNO including the application and negotiations, and support the teams with optimisation from technical and financial perspective up to financial close and beyond
- Lead grid feasibility studies and identification of available connection capacity on the network
the engineering development of large scale energy storage plants.
- Review, and challenge where appropriate, contractor (ICP & BoP) design and engineering deliverables.
- Carry out power/electrical system studies including performance assessment for design assurance, and transient and dynamic stability studies
- Continue to develop power system analysis studies using DIgSILENT Power Factory/PSCAD to support the business engineering design and decision making process
- Support the business development and procurement teams with technical or technical-economic analysis for tenders
- Support the project delivery teams during the basic and detailed design phases, construction and commissioning
- Ensure technical queries are correctly assessed and responded to
- Perform engineering tasks and implement engineering best practices
- Assist in reviewing for key engineering deliverables performed by third parties consultant and contractor
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We realise that certain groups of people are less likely to apply for a role if they don’t meet 100% of the job requirements. To be absolutely clear: if you like the look of this job and think you could do it well, we encourage you to apply with a CV that highlights your transferable skills and experience. Above all, Zenobē is looking for collaborative, flexible, empathetic people who are interested in creating and promoting practical routes to a zero carbon world.
experience in Grid connection process at transmission and distribution
- Excellent understanding of the overall operation of
the transmission and distribution networks in GB and the key stakeholders
- Excellent understanding of the commercial and
technical aspects of transmission and distribution connection processes
- Understanding of grid-forming inverters and controls systems
- Experience of relevant software programmes such as DIgSILENT, PSS/E, and PSCAD
- Excellent understanding of grid code and G99
- Understanding of the key assets that make up an energy
storage connection project
- Knowledge of CAD
- High quality education (bachelor’s or master’s degree) in engineering, preferably electrical engineering or similar
- A genuine passion in clean energy and our social and environmental mission
- Some working experience in engineering, system planning, or consultancy in the energy sector (B2B) preferably in networks, energy storage or renewables
- Fundamental commercial skills – comfortable with Capex and Opex calculations.
- Excellent communication skills, capable of presenting technical results and implications.
- Strong organisation skills, team player and good attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the GB transmission and distribution
network operational challenges and the ancillary services provided by users
- Results oriented who is not scared of taking accountability.
- Desire to work in a fast moving, high pressure and entrepreneurial environment.
- Experience working on transmission connected assets / projects at voltage levels of 132kV and above.
- Previous working experience with BESS systems greater than 50MW.
- Ability to work in the HQ in London
- Fluent in Microsoft office applications including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Project.
- Knowledge of either the US and / or the Australian energy landscapes.
WORKING AT ZENOBE
We’re passionate about sustainability and are proud to offer Team Zenobē a pioneering and collaborative working environment. We encourage our people to take ownership of their career progression and celebrate those that can think outside the box.
If you’d like to join our community of likeminded people hit the apply button now, we’d love to hear from you!
WHAT WE OFFER
Charge your career at Zenobē and receive
- Up to 20% annual bonus for being awesome
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Private Medical Insurance, for you and the family
- £1500 training budget per year, to ensure you grow as we do
- EV Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Pension scheme, up to 8% matched contributions
- Enhanced parental leave
- Cash back health plan
- Plus more
Lots of our people work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, flexitime and hybrid working. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but please talk to us about the flexibility you need and let’s see how we can make it work.
OUR APPROACH TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Our people are our strongest asset and the key determinant of our success, and we value a range of skillsets and perspectives. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. We work to provide equal opportunities and an inclusive work environment, where everyone is fairly treated in the application process and through their career at Zenobē. If there are any adjustments that would help improve your experience with Zenobē, please let us know when you apply.