Our goal is to make clean power accessible, to accelerate the shift to zero carbon power and transport.
We’re building and operating the world’s most sophisticated battery systems to enable the uptake of more renewable power and accelerating fleet electrification, de-risking the transition to zero-emission transport at scale. We’ve been consistently innovative since we were founded in 2017, achieving major industry firsts and using proprietary software and data analysis to optimise operational performance for our customers. At the end of their life, we repurpose electric vehicle batteries to provide clean power at depots, on construction sites and film sets.
Today we have 430 MW of grid scale battery storage operational and under construction and are the largest owner and operator of EV buses in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, supporting over 1,000 electric vehicles worldwide. In our first five years we have raised nearly £1.8 billion in funding and have expanded into other markets such as the US. Our rapidly growing company is looking for highly talented and motivated people to join us.
We are looking to recruit an experienced energy market leader for a Head of Commercial role to lead the Revenue Optimisation and Route-to-Market teams as part of the Network Infrastructure Team. This role will be responsible to lead the de-risking of the forward looking revenues from our global portfolio of battery energy storage assets through contracts that deliver guaranteed revenues as well as day to day revenue optimisation of our existing portfolio of operational assets across balancing services and trading markets through proactive management of our trading counterparties.
Working with the Directors and other members of the Network Infrastructure such as Business Development and Commercial Analytics teams, the role will manage the relationship with Route to Market providers and other partners to secure floor contracts, offtakes, and other hedge products to manage the risk profile of the portfolio. This may include working with large scale, energy intensive corporates. The role includes liaising with clients and external stakeholders including customers, consultants, and lawyers. It will support lobbying efforts internally to open up new markets and enable optimal access to existing markets for battery storage assets.
For operational assets, the candidate will manage day to day optimisation strategy and administer the optimization agreements.
It will be a requirement to hit the ground running and to be comfortable operating at a rapid pace at times with high levels of ambiguity and the pressure of deadlines as well as travel internationally.
Reporting into the Director of Network Infrastructure, this role will be at the heart of realising the success of Network Infrastructure pipeline by leading a team and working with key stakeholders to ensure the operational portfolio hits the revenue targets and the delivery of 2GW storage projects in the UK and 3GW rest of the world to be delivered by 2030.
A TASTE OF THE DAY TO DAY
- Leading the revenue optimisation of the growing portfolio (>1GW BESS by 2026) through management of 3rd
- Running the bidding strategy and optimisation of our assets across:
- Balancing Services DC, DM, DR
- Trading Markets (DA, Intraday, Cashout)
- Balancing Mechanism
- Overall responsibility for maximising the contracted revenues from battery energy storage assets
- Leading quantitative analysis of risk and cost assessment around the contracted revenues
- Leading origination and development of commercial hedging products for transmission level large scale energy storage projects at global scale
- Developing strategic partnerships to support the scaling of the business
- Managing senior level relationships with Route to Market (RTM) Providers
- Supporting day-to-day business case development activities of projects until the closure of the deals
- Lobbying to enhance revenue streams for BESS including interactions with NGESO control room, NGESO market development teams, Ofgem, and DESNZ
- Contributing to the strategy process – including identifying contracting and hedging opportunities to take Zenobē experience to other target markets (e.g. Europe/US/AUS)
- Liaising with international teams to support day-to-day commercial contract negotiations of projects until the closure of the deals
- Proactively identify value accretive opportunities on existing assets and present proposals to the Investment Committee
- Implementing best practice project development processes, working closely with functional teams across the business
- Developing inhouse market insight (trends, strategies)
- Managing contracts with National Grid and third-party traders and offtakers
- Ensuring performance of the portfolio and reporting the performance to the senior management
- Contributing to the NI strategy and understanding the impact of regulatory requirements and various applications on each project revenues
- Understanding the impact of regulatory requirements and various applications on each contract
- Working with the Asset Management team to Ensuring ensure compliance with contract
- Working closely with the Corporate Finance team to ensure the bankability of projects
- Ensure portfolio risks and issues are managed, mitigated, and reported appropriately
- Leading a growing team
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We realise that certain groups of people are less likely to apply for a role if they don’t meet 100% of the job requirements. To be absolutely clear: if you like the look of this job and think you could do it well, we encourage you to apply with a CV that highlights your transferable skills and experience. Above all, Zenobē is looking for collaborative, flexible, empathetic people who are interested in creating and promoting practical routes to a zero carbon world.
- Excellent understanding of the UK energy market
- High quality education (bachelor’s degree or masters) preferably in engineering, economics or finance related
- Solid work experience (>10 years) within trading sector in the energy sector (B2B) preferably in energy storage or renewables sectors
- Experience of managing trading and settlements process
- Experience in energy storage and renewables
- Detailed understanding of revenue optimisation, PPAs, and trading strategies
- Strong commercial skills – comfortable with legal contracts
- Excellent communication skills, capable of presenting sophisticated contracts and sales pitches
- Strong organisation skills, team player and good attention to detail
- Desire to work in a fast moving, high pressure and entrepreneurial environment
- Outstanding Excel and PowerPoint skills
- A genuine passion in clean energy and our social and environmental mission
- Strong partner relationship management experience
- Senior team leadership - ability to manage and motivate professional people
- Results oriented who is not afraid to take responsibility and accountability
The ideal candidate will have experience in the energy industry, preferably with exposure to renewables energies or battery storage. The candidate is driven, organised and autonomous, and curious to be at the forefront the innovation from brainstorming ideas to implementation.
WORKING AT ZENOBE
We’re passionate about sustainability and are proud to offer Team Zenobē a pioneering and collaborative working environment. We encourage our people to take ownership of their career progression and celebrate those that can think outside the box.
If you’d like to join our community of likeminded people hit the apply button now, we’d love to hear from you!
WHAT WE OFFER
Charge your career at Zenobē and receive
- Up to 20% annual bonus for being awesome
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Private Medical Insurance, for you and the family
- £1500 training budget per year, to ensure you grow as we do
- EV Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Pension scheme, up to 8% matched contributions
- Enhanced parental leave
- Cash back health plan
- Plus more
Lots of our people work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, flexitime and hybrid working. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but please talk to us about the flexibility you need and let’s see how we can make it work.
OUR APPROACH TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Our people are our strongest asset and the key determinant of our success, and we value a range of skillsets and perspectives. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. We work to provide equal opportunities and an inclusive work environment, where everyone is fairly treated in the application process and through their career at Zenobē. If there are any adjustments that would help improve your experience with Zenobē, please let us know when you apply.